Aerotation of liquids, for most cases, water. This small accessory is used in faucets, mostly interior. An aerator is not a must-have tool unless your water flow is super high.
However, this accessory can help and do wonders, sometimes even prevent accidents from happening. Having an aerator is also not compulsory, even if you have an outdoor faucet, but it can be advantageous.
But the real question is, why do faucets have aerators?
Straightforwardly, it’s used to lessen the water flow that goes through faucets.
But that’s not the only thing a faucet aerator can do. This article will cover what a faucet aerator can do.
Let’s jump right into it.
Why Do Faucets Have Aerators?
An aerator is an accessory or a screen that’s placed right at the edge of faucets. Aerators are commonly used for indoor faucets, like shower, kitchen, bathtub faucets, etc.
The aerator is used to control the flow of water coming from the faucet. They are mesh covers made out of metal. The water flow has high pressure; just an aerator can help reduce that.
Most people use aerators to control the water flow, and of course, save the bills! The more your water flow is, the extra you pay for it. As an aerator can lessen the flow of water, it means you save a few bucks.
Do Faucets Need Aerators?
Suppose you don’t have an aerator yet. About high time you get one. Look at your faucet first to better understand which type of aerator you might need.
An aerator is an accessory that helps the faucet run longer without flowing too much water. Aerator enhances the entire faucet experience.
If you have a faucet, you should purchase an aerator as it smoothens the water flow. Aerators create a mixture of water and air.
This way, while the water is coming out of the faucet, it’s hit with the mesh metal of the aerator and the air. Therefore, the water flowing process becomes a lot better.
If you are not convinced yet, look at this video to better understand why you need an aerator.
According to Faucet Boss, the average water flow rate ranges around 1.0-1.5 GPM, 1 to 1.5 gallons per minute.
The average size of an aerator is 15/16” male and 55/64” female. However, before buying an aerator, measure the size of your faucet before.
Do All Faucets Have Aerators?
This is a difficult question to answer, but almost all faucets have aerators, especially if the faucets are in the kitchen or inside the house.
As faucet aerators are great at giving you a nice flow of water without flowing too much water. It gives shape to the faucet’s water flow.
Not to mention, it decreases high water pressure and saves energy. An average 1.0 GPM aerator can save up to 50% of the water, generally coming from a faucet.
So, the final verdict is, not all faucets have aerators. You have to install them, and to be honest, why not? Who wants to pay hundreds of dollars just for water bills?
How Does A Faucet Aerator Work?
A faucet aerator may look like a small piece of mesh screen, but it helps you more than you think it does. Here is a short brief descriptions of what a faucet aerator can do:
- Control Water Flow- Installing an aerator means it can control your water stream. You will no longer have to deal with opening the faucet and having a chug of water splashing everywhere.
- Aerators Even Your Water Flow- If you don’t have an aerator, you most likely have a high-pressure water flow. And when you open the tap, you have water spilling all over the place. An aerator will prevent that by giving an even clear shape to the stream of water. Because when the water is flowing, it will have boundaries this time, which is the aerator.
- It helps With Saving Energy And Money- An aerator saves up a lot of energy and money. An average family spends over $1000 a year on water bills, which is a lot. Since the aerator helps to even the flow of water, it will use less energy, and consequently, you won’t have to pay a thousand bucks over water.
- Freshens Your Water- Aerators also help with giving the water a refreshed taste. If you are drinking water straight from the faucet, then having an aerator is a must. The mesh in the aerator will work as a filter, and it will help make the water taste a little fresh. You will get that refreshed, light feeling when drinking the water.
How Often Should You Change Faucet Aerators?
You don’t have to change or replace faucet aerators that often. However, you do need to pop out the aerator and clean it properly.
The faucet aerator is a small accessory and gets dirty quickly. Because of this, the best option is to take the aerator out everything once a month or for two weeks.
After taking it out, you don’t have to do anything fancy. Just use a brush and gently wipe the aerator. Although, if the aerator is clogged, you might have to use vinegar and baking soda to clean it.
Other than that, it would help if you replaced your aerator once or twice a year. Or else it will just get unhygienic.
An ordinary faucet aerator costs just about $0.95, which is not even $1, so it’s beyond dirt cheap.
Can I Remove The Faucet Aerator?
Yes, you can remove the faucet aerator. You won’t even need much for it. Below is a small step guide on how you can remove it.
- Use a towel or a napkin for this. Towels are more effective. Using the towel, work your way up and slowly start cleaning the inside of the aerator. The inside is the mesh.
- Ensure the aerator parts are entirely in place, or it might damage the mesh screen inside and cause leakage.
- Now, after cleaning the aerator, put it back in the faucet, make sure it’s sturdy and in place.
- Screw the aerator clockwise, and make sure it’s tight.
Turn the faucet on to see if the aerator is doing its job correctly or not, and you’re good to go.
What Is The Advantage of Using An Aerator On A Tap?
The entire post has been about what an aerator can do. This is no different.
The most important advantage an aerator can do is to save you money! Who doesn’t like saving money while doing the job anyway?
An aerator is as inexpensive as costing less than a dollar and can help the tap run smoothly. If a tap runs without an aerator, it has high water pressure and is noisy. Using an aerator can solve all of that.
Aerators are easy to install; you don’t even need a plumber for installing the device. And can filter your water. So, you get the point. All you have to do is spend less than a dollar, and you’re getting all these advantages.
James is an organic fertilizer professional who owns a successful organic fertilizer company in new jersey. He is an expert in waste management in both houses and community cases. In his free time, he loves to write about his experiences in the field.