Are you also thinking of changing fixtures around the house because they’ve become so old and rustic that they have to be changed? Let’s see how we can do it.
Faucets are the cylindrical metal fixture above a sink through which the water comes out. These get outdated and damaged the fastest because their daily use, and their wear and tear are incomparable. However, faucets might not be as tough to replace as you might think.
But you can only do it properly if you know exactly how to.
In this article, we will talk about various types of faucets and how can we change or replace them easily by ourselves. However, before you start replacing things around your house, you should know certain things like:
- What kind of faucet are you thinking to change?
- Are you experienced enough to change the faucets yourself?
- How fast can you do the job?
How do I Change the Kitchen Faucet?
Replacing the faucet of a kitchen might not be challenging if you know how to do it.
- Look for a new faucet that can be used as a replacement
You could upgrade to newer styles like a faucet with a single handle that only needs a single installation hole. For this, you need a base plate that can cover up the other two holes since only a single hole is required. It should also match the faucet’s style.
- You must switch off the water valves before dissembling the faucet
First and foremost, gather all tools and materials and close the valve through which the water comes out because you would be risking water spillage. If the switch is newer, it can be shut off with just the on/off button, but if it is old, it must be budged a little. But before you do that, shut the main water switch too. Now you can open the valve with pliers if it is jammed in.
- Fix the base you’ll sit on
So when you’re working on the faucet, the valves or any faucet connections are usually below the kitchen sink. It can be so uncomfortable to constantly sit and try to replace the faucet. Therefore, what you can do is fix a sheet of plywood under the kitchen sink before you sit and change so that you get a base to sit on.
- The old faucet can be removed now.
Since the water is turned off, just loosen up the nuts and take the faucet from the wholes. However, since this is all to be done under the kitchen sink, look for bright light and an adjustable wrench to work efficiently. If the nuts are rusted and stuck to their place, try spraying penetration oil to loosen up the nuts, and this could take time to loosen up.
- Install the deck plate
If you’re putting the single handle faucet, you only need a single hole and then need to cover the other two spots. Next, put the new faucet and open the water valve. Check for any leaks and do the final clean-up.
How to Change a Sink/Bathroom Sink Faucet?
Let’s look at how we can change the bathroom sink faucet ourselves without the help of a professional.
- See what kind of faucet you are going to change.
There are usually three types of faucets: single hole, 8’’ triple hole, and 4’’ triple hole. You should also see where your faucet is located, i.e., on the countertop or the sink.
- Collect the parts you will be fixing.
Check all the essential tools you might need and all the fixtures that you would fix above.
- Remove the faucet
Firstly, as usual, close the water valves and then use the wrench to loosen up the nuts and open the faucets. Drain the water from the faucet into a bucket, and then the flexible line has to be removed.
- Remove any remaining fixture material like nuts and bolts before you remove the faucet. When you’re about to remove the faucet, you might have to apply some oil to clog out any corrosion.
- Now you can apply the new one easily by following steps on its guidebook.
- You may have to assemble a hot and cold valve if it is not a single-hole faucet. Install a C-clip and tighten its nuts that will hold the hot and cold valve, respectively.
- The newest extension of the water line can be installed to the shut-off and mixing valves.
- You can now put the drain rod again by checking all clamps and tightening the bolts. Check for any leaks and flush water through the new faucet for some time to check for any problems.
You’ve finally installed the sink faucet but if you do get stuck anywhere, seek a professional’s help.
How to Change a Shower Faucet?
Faucets aren’t that difficult to change if you follow a guide throughout.
- Shut the water supply
If you don’t have a separate one for the bathroom, shut the main water.
- Remove the shower-head by turning the nut counterclockwise by using pliers.
Some shower faucets have a cover plate that can be removed using a screwdriver. However, keep the parts you remove because they will be needed when you install the new one.
- Change the shower valve from inside it.
A valve can be found by drilling a hole right next to the valve. Valve is located onto a stringer, and now you should cut the pipe with a cutter and take out the stringer on which the old valve must be attached.
- Select a new valve and replace it with the old one.
If you get stuck anywhere, call the plumber.
- Now you need to connect the valve.
For making the connection, you need to install the fittings by using a torch and solder. This process is called soldering.
- Now clean up the pipe ends, insert it, rotate it several times, and finally, scrape off any excess dirt using a brush.
- Install the new valve now. It should have channels for both hot and cold water. And these fittings should connect through the pipe.
- The valve should be equidistant from the wall and should be mounted towards a stringer.
- Test for leaks by installing stringers.
- Remove the shower-head and tighten the nuts and have someone open the water for you to check for any leaks right there and then.
- If there is no leak, turn the water on and patch the wall up.
- Put the cartridge that comes with the shower heads by reading its instruction manual.
- Now you can put the shower-head by tightening the nuts
- Make sure the temperature for the faucets of the shower is below 120 degrees.
How to Change a Bathtub Faucet?
- Remove the previous handles and stems
First and foremost, turn off the water supply by turning either the bathroom or the main water supply. Now turn on the faucet and drain the remaining water and close it again. Now remove the index present in the stem with the help of a screwdriver.
Also, lose the screw that is in the handle and remove it. Keep all screws and index aside safely. The index or the thin pipe attached inside the wall used to control faucets must be removed using a wrench.
- The tub spout must be removed
The spout is mounted with a screw, and therefore it must be removed with the help of a screwdriver. Once it is loose, you can remove the faucet easily. When you look for a new spout, it must be bigger than the previous one since it is attached from within the wall.
- Install the fresh items now
You must now attach the entire newly bought faucet and stem with a handle too. Now put the pipe/stem where the previous one was and turn it clockwise with the help of pliers and tighten it to seal it. Now, you can attach the new handle over the pipe or stem and put it back in the wall. Tighten the screw over the handle to put both handles and stem into place.
- Attach the tub spout now
Take the previous spouts when you go to buy new ones. You should also buy plumber tape that you can put on the pipe coming from within the wall. Put the new sprout on the pipe and spin it in the clockwise direction. Tighten it and secure it in one place, and the sprout should face the downward direction. If the spout contains a screw below it, you can tighten it up with a wrench and secure it tightly.
This could seem difficult if you’re doing it for the first time. If you feel you can’t figure out what to do, call a plumber and see for yourself, and then you can do it the next time.
You must see what kind of faucets you are looking to change because there is so much variety. After you decide the location, the faucets and their installation must be followed through from an instruction manual of the faucet, you purchased.
Thus, we can conclude here that you can change bathroom, kitchen or bathtub faucets if you have an informative step-by-step guide to follow through.
Q1. How can I change the already present plug in the bathtub?
You need to buy a specific wrench for it because that wrench has four spikes on its end that allow you to open that plug easily.
Q2. Is it hard to replace shower fixtures?
If you don’t have an instruction manual, it could become a bit difficult.
Q3. What kind of shower valve is there in my bathroom?
You can see behind the handle in the centre of the shower plate. The brand name is usually denoted with a symbol, and a ‘K’ denotes Kohler brand, “M” denotes Moen, and so on.
Q4. How much does it cost to change a shower faucet?
In the US, it can cost up to $250 per faucet, and it ranges from $14 to $350.
Q5. What tools do I require to change a sink faucet?
Basic items include a basin wrench and a socket wrench to unscrew nuts and bolts easily.
James is an organic fertilizer professional who owns a successful organic fertilizer company in new jersey. He is an expert in waste management in both houses and community cases. In his free time, he loves to write about his experiences in the field.