Yes, Stasher bags are dishwasher safe. These innovative silicone food storage bags provide an eco-friendly, reusable alternative to single-use plastics. Made from platinum-grade silicone, Stasher bags can withstand high temperatures and repeated washings without deteriorating.
This article explores how to effectively clean Stasher bags in the dishwasher, confirming they can be conveniently cleaned this way, and provides step-by-step instructions. It also covers additional cleaning options, tips for drying, and maximizing lifespan. Key topics include guidelines for use, care, and maintenance to extend the bags’ life and highlight the versatility, durability, and eco-friendly advantages of Stasher bags over disposable plastic bags.
What are Stasher Bags?
Stasher bags are reusable, self-sealing silicone food storage bags that can be used to store food, snacks, and other items. These bags provide an eco-friendly alternative to single-use plastic bags. They are airtight, freezer-safe, and made from 100% pure platinum silicone, a type of silicone free of BPA, BPS, lead, latex, and phthalates.
Stasher bags are designed to be endlessly reusable to keep your food fresh, making life easier and preventing plastic pollution for a long time to come. Their airtight seal locks in nutrients, flavors, and freshness, making them an indispensable ally in any eco-conscious kitchen. They come in various sizes, from snack to stand-up, and are popularly used for food storage, sous vide cooking, marinating, and packing lunches and leftovers.
Are Stasher Bags Dishwasher Safe?
Yes, Stasher bags are dishwasher safe and can be conveniently cleaned in the dishwasher. Stasher bags are engineered to withstand the rigors of dishwasher cleaning. The platinum silicone material is durable enough to withstand regular dishwasher cleaning cycles.
According to tests done by Stasher, their bags have been through over 100 dishwasher cycles with no deterioration in quality. The extremely high-temperature resistance of Stasher bags allows them to be sterilized in boiling water and even placed in the oven up to 400°F.
How to Clean Stasher Bags in the Dishwasher?
It’s super easy to clean your Stasher bags. Toss them into the dishwasher, and they will come unscathed and spotless, ready for their next use. Simply:
- Empty out all contents from the bag and rinse off excess debris.
- Place the bags on the top rack of your dishwasher to avoid placing them close to the heating element where temperatures are very high (But it does not matter which rack)
- Ensuring it’s opened up to allow water to circulate inside.
- Run your dishwasher through a regular cycle using a detergent. Heated dry cycles are delicate.
- Once done, remove the bags and lay them flat or hang them to dry.
- You can wash the bags with dishes and other utensils. The silicone material will not retain food odors or stains.
For a deep clean, use a wooden cleaning brush to get any remaining particles out of the seal and prevent mold. For very greasy bags, pre-wash them by hand before placing them in the dishwasher.
Other Ways to Clean Stasher Bags
While the dishwasher offers a convenient cleaning method, we can also use other ways to clean them.
|For those preferring a more hands-on approach or lacking a dishwasher, hand washing is equally effective. Use warm, soapy water and a soft brush to cleanse the bags gently. Rinse thoroughly with clean water.
|Baking soda scrub
|For a deeper clean, baking soda paste can remove stubborn stains. Make a paste of baking soda and water and use it to scrub the bags. Rinse thoroughly.
|Place bags in boiling water for 5-10 minutes to sanitize and sterilize them.
|Mix 1 part vinegar with three parts water and soak bags for 5 minutes to deodorize.
|Soak your bag in a 50/50 warm water and vinegar bath for a few hours. Then bake in the oven on a baking sheet for eight minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. For tougher smells, double up and use both methods.
Tips for Cleaning Stasher Bags
Here are some tips for cleaning your Stasher bags:
- Avoid overloading your Stasher bags when washing in the dishwasher. Overstuffed bags will not get properly cleaned.
- Wash bags after each use for best results; don’t let food residues accumulate.
- Do not turn your Stasher bag inside out to clean it. Flipping your Stasher inside out to clean it will degrade the strength of the bonded edges, and eventually, your Stasher will rip.
- Avoid anything that will compromise the durable design.
- Avoid abrasive cleaners, which can damage the silicone.
- While washing hands, use a soft brush or sponge for scrubbing. Rinse thoroughly to remove all soap residues.
- Sometimes, even when you give it a good cleaning, you may feel the need to sanitize. Let your Stasher bag bathe periodically in vinegar, boiling water, or a bleach solution.
- Let bags air dry thoroughly before storage to prevent mold or mildew growth.
- Replace bags with cuts, tears, or holes in them.
Tips for Drying Stasher Bags After They Have been Washed in the Dishwasher
Here are some tips for drying your Stasher bags after they have been washed in the dishwasher:
- Use a bamboo drying rack to dry your Stasher bags.
- Place your Stasher bags on any non-sharp kitchen items to stand your bags on.
- Lay bags flat or hang them upside down to dry. This allows moisture to drain out quickly.
- When you let them air dry, sometimes you can get water spots on the silicone. They’re completely harmless, just not as attractive as a crystal-clear Stasher. You can avoid these by giving your Stasher a quick wipe down with a clean towel.
- Pat dry with a lint-free towel if you’re in a hurry.
- Avoid scrunching up or tightly folding bags before they are completely dry.
- A fan or dehumidifier can speed up the drying process if bags take too long to completely dry.
How to Use Stasher Bags?
Stasher bags are easy to use and very versatile. It can be explained with simple steps.
- Step 1: Place your food or other items in the bag.
- Step 2: Press the seal firmly to close the bag.
- Step 3: Store the bag in the refrigerator, freezer, or pantry.
Here are some tips for the things you can use the Starsher bags.
|Store leftovers and food prep items in the fridge or freezer.
Marinade meats and veggies.
Make freezer meals by filling bags with raw ingredients to cook later.
Pack sandwiches, snacks, and fruits for lunches and picnics.
Transport homemade sauces and purees.
Store spices, seeds, nuts, and dried foods.
|Safe for microwaves and ovens up to 425°F.
Boil or sous vide food by submerging sealed bags in hot water.
Whip up smoothies and shakes.
|Store non-food items neatly, like dressings, bags, shoes, etc.
Benefits of using Stasher bags
Compared to disposable plastic bags, Stasher reusable silicone bags offer numerous benefits:
- Stasher bags are reusable and eco-friendly. One Stasher bag can replace 260+ single-use plastic bags annually. Therefore, using stasher bags saves money over time compared to disposable plastic bags.
- Durable and withstand hundreds of washes and rough handling. Tests show no deterioration after 100 dishwasher cycles.
- They are food-grade and made from pure platinum silicone, free of BPA, BPS, lead, latex, and phthalates.
- Dishwasher-safe, freezer-safe. Also, safe in boiling water.
- The sealing design creates an airtight vacuum seal. Leakproof for secure storage of wet and dry foods.
- Withstands temperatures from -40 to 425°F. It can be boiled, baked, or frozen. Microwave and oven safe up to 400°F.
- Transparent material allows you to see contents easily.
- Taste and stain-resistant silicone does not absorb food odors.
Are Stasher bags freezer safe?
Yes, Stasher bags are freezer-safe and can endure extremely low temperatures, making them perfect for freezer storage without cracking or degrading. You can store your food or other items in the bag and place it in the freezer.
How long do Stasher bags last?
Stasher bags are designed to be endlessly reusable. With proper care and cleaning, they can last for years, though the exact lifespan may vary based on frequency and type of use.
Follow care and cleaning guidelines to maximize the lifespan of your Stasher bags. Avoid exposing them to harsh chemicals or leaving stains and food residues too long. As long as punctures, cuts, or overstuffing do not damage the bags, they can be reused hundreds of times.
Are Stasher bags safe in boiling water?
Yes, Stasher bags are safe in boiling water. You can use them to cook sous vide or to boil food. So feel free to boil foods like eggs, vegetables, meats, and more in Stasher bags. It’s a convenient way to cook foods while preserving nutrients and flavors.
Can you turn Stasher bags inside out to clean them?
No, do not turn your Stasher bag inside out to clean it.
Can you put Stasher bags in the microwave?
Yes, Stasher bags are microwave-safe.
Stasher bags are dishwasher-safe, eco-friendly alternatives to disposable plastic that make cleaning and food storage easy. Their durable platinum silicone construction allows them to be washed hundreds of times while maintaining integrity. Follow the care guidelines provided to maximize the life of your Stasher bags. Cleaning them regularly in the dishwasher is perfectly safe and recommended.
James is an organic fertilizer professional who owns a successful organic fertilizer company in new jersey. He is an expert in waste management in both houses and community cases. In his free time, he loves to write about his experiences in the field.